ANCS is searching for a dynamic, experienced, and visionary leader to join our school family as Executive Director (ED). The ED will partner with our strong, established leadership team and Board of Directors to execute the school’s strategic plan. The ideal candidate will:
- Support and seek a truly diverse school community
- Implement equitable school practices
- Communicate effectively
- Cultivate and strengthen all internal and external ANCS community relationships
- Think strategically
- Act innovatively
About the School:
ANCS is a K-8 public charter school with two campuses in southeast Atlanta, GA serving approximately 630 students with 100+ teachers and staff. Our vision is to be a dynamic learning community where students become life-long learners, develop self-knowledge, and are challenged to excel. We value personalized, holistic teaching and learning, a true commitment to diversity and equity, meaningful partnership with families, and collaboration with the broader community. We have a long track record of success since being founded in 2002. It was an honor to be recognized for these accomplishments by being named Georgia “Charter School of the Year” in 2015. Watch this short video and visit our website to learn more about the school.
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes Needed for Success in Role:
- Experience developing short- and long-term strategic plans
- Unwavering commitment to equity and inclusion
- Supportive of a personalized and holistic approach to teaching and learning
- Exceptional and strategic oral and written communication skills
- Proven success in developing and fostering relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience recruiting, supporting, and retaining a highly qualified and diverse team
- Business acumen in financial management, personnel administration, and regulatory compliance
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Effective leadership and management style
- Adaptable/flexible approach
- Visionary, innovative, and future-focused
- Seven+ years of key leadership experience (education, government, non-profit, and/or corporate)
- Undergraduate degree required, advanced degree preferred
Ensures people and resources are allocated appropriately to achieve ANCS’s goals. Supports, supervises, manages, and sets clear goals for the ANCS community.
- Establishes and leads an effective K-8 school leadership team in a manner that engages and empowers others to take action and responsibility to achieve results.
- Communicates effectively and concisely with school leadership team and staff.
- Leads staff in maintaining a climate of excellence, accountability, and respect.
- Develops a clear direction and shared purpose that guides and unifies all stakeholders.
- Leads by example:
- Demonstrates personal growth and development and sets an example for others by seeking and reflecting on feedback and experiences.
- Assumes responsibility for his/her own professional growth and development through membership and participation in the affairs of professional organizations and through attendance at regional, state, and national meetings.
- Keeps abreast of changes and developments in the field and discusses problems of mutual interest with other professionals.
Strategic and Organizational Vision/Measurement:
Ensures frameworks and practices are in place to comply with all legal regulations as well as the school charter.
- Performs regular cycles of long-range strategic planning and annual goal setting that incorporates data on student performance and stakeholder feedback.
- Drives a collaborative planning process with the school leadership team that ensures all charter requirements are met and yearly academic goals that align with the charter goals are established.
- Collaborates with Board to:
- Update and execute the long-term ANCS Strategic Plan.
- Develop and refine strategic goals towards achieving ANCS’s mission, including identifying critical gaps between where the school is and where it aspires to be, establishing clear benchmarks, and tracking and measuring performance.
- Ensures processes and procedures are in place to assess organizational performance and to support planning for ongoing school improvement. Assesses performance against set indicators of success – quarterly to the Board and broader school community.
- Develops, articulates, and maintains policies and procedures that are consistent with ANCS’s mission, philosophy, and goals.
- Emphasizes student achievement as a primary measure and indicator of success.
- Oversees and supports the development, design and delivery of program initiatives, assuring that the goals and objectives are aligned with the school’s overall strategic plan.
- Partners with the Board to supervise all aspects of legal and charter compliance, including keeping abreast of legislative issues and developments.
- Drives a collaborative process to successfully renew the charter as required.
- Ensures the school maintains a balanced budget and strong financial health.
- Leads the school leadership team and Board in preparing budgets, monitoring progress, and initiating changes as appropriate.
Inspires parents, faculty, staff and community members to actively support the vision of ANCS. Ensures the development of an explicit shared vision for the school that incorporates the voices and perspectives of diverse stakeholders and opinions.
- Articulates mission, values, and behavioral expectations that drive student engagement and progress.
- Maintains a unified school culture defined by integrity, rigor, inspiration, and motivation for all students, faculty, staff, and families.
- Fosters open communications among faculty, staff, and families and respects difference of opinion.
- Effectively delegates decision-making and problem-solving to appropriate personnel.
- Listens to and responds appropriately to faculty, staff, student, parent/guardian, and community concerns; delegates to appropriate authority and follows through to resolution.
- Involves various stakeholders in decision making where appropriate.
Governing Board Partnership:
Works collaboratively with the Board as stewards of the charter and the school’s governing body.
- Serves as ex-officio member of the ANCS Board and primary liaison between the school leadership team and Board.
- Meets regularly with the Board Chair and individual committee chairs.
- Provides the Board with pertinent and timely data and information needed to effectively perform its fiduciary duty and ensure charter contract goals are met.
- Promotes Board development and engagement with school community and external partners, as appropriate.
- Partners with the Board in identifying and cultivating a diverse board that links the school to stakeholders and brings valuable relationships and resources to the school.
- Promotes understanding and good working relationships between the Board and faculty/staff.
- Communicates and provides direction to the Board on all school-related matters.
- Recommends needed policy changes and action to the Board.
Fundraising and Marketing:
Works collaboratively with the Board to advance a clearly defined plan that guides all fundraising and marketing strategies employed by the school.
- Develops and oversees the creation and execution of a strategic marketing plan that provides a clear and concise message.
- Actively recruits, pursues, tracks, and maintains a diverse donor base of individual, business, foundation and government segments.
- Cultivates positive relationships with existing partners and financial supporters.
- Identifies school needs and writes proposals for grants, corporate, foundation, and individual support of those needs.
- Serves as primary spokesperson to all audiences (government, media, funders, and community partners).
Administration and Human Resources:
Applies principles of best practice and integrity to guide the overall school operation.
- Recruits, develops, manages, and retains high-quality, diverse leadership team members and administrative staff who in turn recruit, develop, manage, and retain high-quality and diverse teams.
- Supervises and evaluates principals and other leadership team members/direct reports.
- Recommends employment decisions to the Board for approval.
- Ensures compliance of all ANCS, state, and federal policies, laws, and regulations.
- Confirms annual completion and documentation of annual performance reviews.
Fosters community engagement to continue student success and strengthen the school community.
- Develops and nurtures family and community relationships and maintains a positive image of the school in the community.
- Effectively communicates the school’s goals, values, and strategic direction with the school family as well as the broader community.
- Fosters equity and diversity within our school community.
- Develops plans that promote good relations between the school and the community and attends meetings in surrounding communities.
- Promotes effective communication between families and the school and encourages parent visits and involvement in decision-making as appropriate.
- Establishes and makes use of working relationships with local school board and other politicians, as well as leadership at peer schools.
- Develops and maintains connections with local, state, and national organizations.
- Represents and advocates for ANCS at the local and the state level.
- Participates in community affairs that promote ANCS’s mission.
- Maintains contact with the news media.