Special Education Teacher (Grades 6-8)
Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School works to build an empowered and inclusive community of students, parents, and educators. ANCS is looking for dedicated and experienced special education teachers that are committed to improving outcomes for struggling students with the belief of inclusive practices.
The position of Special Education Teacher at the Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School (ANCS) middle school campus involves the following primary responsibilities:
- Provide classroom instruction for students in co-taught classrooms and resource setting.
- Confer with parents, Special Education Department lead, testing specialists, social workers, and teachers to develop individual educational plans designed to promote students’ educational, physical, and social development and prepare IEPs in accordance with state, federal, and any other applicable guidelines, regulations, and/or laws.
- Collate and maintain accurate and complete student records, including preparing and delivering progress reports and report cards; creating and maintaining a weekly schedule that meets the hours of student support on your caseload; maintaining student work samples; and meeting with parents, guardians, and teachers to discuss these records
- Collect behavioral data through conducting functional behavior analysis, classroom observations, and behavioral data collection; create, manage, and collate data on daily behavior plans; and teach socially acceptable behavior, employing techniques such as behavior modification strategies, teaching social skills, and positive reinforcement
- Plan and conduct specially designed instruction (SDI) in a constructivist environment (inclusion and pull-out) and employ highly skilled special educational instructional strategies and techniques to improve academic achievement and the development of sensory- and perceptual-motor skills, language, cognition, and memory
- Accommodate the general education curriculum for students with disabilities, based upon a variety of instructional techniques and assistive technologies, such as computers, audiovisual aids, and other equipment and materials to supplement student learning
- Administer informal and formal assessments providing students with testing accommodations
- Work and support students with sensory impairments and consult with teachers regarding meeting students needs within the regular education classroom
- Engage in continuous professional development and shared learning with other professional staff
- Work collaboratively with a diverse group of school colleagues, parents, community members and others to support and implement the goals of the school
- Participate fully in faculty and school related meetings
Directly to Dean of Academic Growth and Principal
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree and T4-Certification in General Curriculum Special Education and the Special Education Academic Content Areas (Math, Science, Social Studies and ELA) required
The experience and qualifications preferred for this position include:
- Experience working with students with various learning disabilities, cognitive profiles, sensory dysfunctions, behavior disorders, speech and language impairments, gross and fine motor difficulty and medical conditions
- Ability to develop and adapt curriculum and present lessons in various subject areas to students with disabilities
- Demonstrated effectiveness in working with diverse groups of students, teachers, service providers and families
- Experience working in an International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme
Commensurate with education and experience
The mission of the Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School (ANCS) is to:
- BUILD an empowered and inclusive community of students, parents, and educators
- ENGAGE the whole child—intellectually, social-emotionally, and physically
- HELP all students to know themselves and to be known well by their community
- CHALLENGE each student to take an active role as an informed citizen in a global society
- COLLABORATE with the larger community to advocate for student-centered schools
We are committed to strengthening and preserving diversity, fostering an environment of equity and ensuring that we are as inclusive as we can possibly be.