Dear ANCS elementary families,
We had a great first day of school yesterday. Thank you all for your patience with our arrival procedures. Walking your child up to school is always welcome, and I know it has been extra crowded on the front lawn the past couple of days. Please just remember to keep the walkways open for students to get to their appropriate entrance. It can be challenging for little ones to navigate through a crowd and we want to make getting into the building and to classrooms as stress-free as possible.
We strongly believe that the first weeks of school are a time to learn all the fundamentals of how we will operate each day and, most importantly, how we are going to work and live together as a community and school family. One major component of Conscious Discipline is that the brain is pattern seeking. We thrive and are less anxious when we have a schedule and there is predictability and consistency in our day and the action of others. This does not mean that our days are monotonous, just that there are some things we can count on happening and/or not happening. Establishing all of this takes practice and our first few weeks of school are largely spent on this.
Teachers are very intentional about taking time early in the year to establish a strong community, so later, when/if things become challenging, the students are more confident problem solvers and communicators. Please take time to talk with your child about the routines and procedures the class has been discussing and practicing. Additionally, ask about the team building activities the class has been attempting and how those initiatives helped him/her understand better how to be a positive community member.
Some friendly reminders:
- School hours are 8:00 to 2:40 Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and 8:00 to 1:30 on Wednesdays. Doors open at 7:30 each day. Please do not drop your child off before 7:30, as there will be no adult available to supervise him/her.
- Students will only enter the building through the front doors. Kindergarteners and first graders will exit through the doors by the library in the afternoon.
- Breakfast is served from 7:30-7:50. Please ensure your child arrives during that window if they are eating breakfast at school.
- If your child is attending the ANCS AfterCare Program, please remember that it closes at 6:00. If you need to contact someone in the after school program, you will call the main number to the school, 404-624-6226.
- Please enter the car rider line from either Augusta or Atlanta in the morning and afternoon. Do not try to enter the carpool line from Bass or Pavillion or block streets or driveways while you are in line.
- Please display your dismissal number on your rearview mirror or in the upper right hand passenger side of your front window. If you need to write the number, please print large numbers in bold, dark ink so our teachers can clearly see it.
- When in the car rider line remember to refrain from using electronic devices so you can remain aware of directions from the adults, keep the line moving, and abide by the law.
- After picking up your child in the carpool line, please move forward before buckling your child up or checking backpacks. This would be a good time to teach your child how to buckle him/herself up independently.
- If you are walking up to school to pick up your child, you will need to know your dismissal number. Please have that ready for the staff outside so we can get your child to you as quickly as possible.
- If you need to pick your child up early, please do so before 2:20 (1:10 on Wednesdays). Anytime after that interferes with dismissal procedures.
- Please try to be consistent with how your child will be picked up each day. If there is a change in dismissal plans, please inform the school using the main number by 11:00. Teachers are often not able to check email before the end of the day, so Ms. Jacobs will let your child’s teachers know what the plans are.
- Please refrain from using your cell phone if you are in the school building.
- Finally, please help us keep toys and other distracting items at home.
We will be practicing our school-wide morning meeting on Friday, so students will go to the auditorium when they enter the building instead of their classroom. This morning meeting will be with students and faculty & staff only. Beginning Monday, you are welcome to join us for morning meeting in the auditorium from 8:00-8:10. Once morning meeting is over, we ask that you exit the building so we can get the day rolling in classrooms. Students will go straight to the auditorium each Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday. Since Wednesday is an early release day, students will go straight to their classroom on these days, as there is no morning meeting.
We are looking forward to a positive and productive partnership with you this year and are excited about working together as a community to support all our students. Please take some time to read over our Family School Partnership guidelines for ways we can work together in support of our students. Don’t forget to scroll down and click the links provided for each Guiding Principle to see examples of how an effective partnership is developed here at ANCS. As always, please feel free to reach out with any questions you may have.
Here’s to a peaceful and successful school year!