Dear ANCS elementary families,
I am sure you are gearing up for your week off for spring break next week. There is a fair amount of spring break excitement here at the EC. We have all been enjoying teacher appreciation week! Thank you to our PTCA and for all of you who have joined PTCA to support weeks like this. It really does help everyone feel loved and appreciated.
Once we return to school on April 11th, we have many busy weeks ahead of us. Students will be taking the last round of the MAP assessment and we will be gearing up for all the end-of-year activities in May. Please add these April dates to your calendar.
- April 19th-22nd – Walk Your Student to Class Week (again!). We will follow the same schedule we did last month.
- Tuesday, April 19th – Rockmore/Holmes, Lance/Johnson, Newton/Collins, Sulmers/German, Hage/Lobban, Derichsweiler/Caudle
- Wednesday, April 20th – McKenzie/Morgan, Morris/Hutchins, Arrington/Dietz, Agadoni/Stewart, Conners/Wade, Pina/Douglas
- Thursday, April 21st – Sattler/Berney, Kellum/Maland, Lawrence/Smith, Taylor/Smith
- Friday, April 22nd – Walbert/Denson, Armstead/Godicheau, Love/Coyne
Remember, in order for this to work well, we will all need to follow some guidelines. We are working to manage the flow of traffic and crowding in the school. Please read these over carefully.
- Enjoy coming into the building with your student on the designated day between 7:30 and 8:00. Ideally you will arrive by 7:50 at the latest so you can spend time looking at work and won’t feel rushed. Teachers start class right at 8:00.
- Spend about 5 to 10 minutes in the building. Please do not congregate with other parents in the hallway to socialize.
- Unfortunately, if you arrive at school after 8:00, you will not be able to walk your student to his/her classroom. You will come in the building and sign your student in at the front desk, per usual.
- This is not a time to meet with the teacher to discuss your child’s progress or other concerns you may have. Teachers are busy getting the day started and will have students in the classroom to attend to in the morning. If you have questions or concerns that you would like to talk about with the teachers, contact them outside of this time to set up a meeting.
- April 29th – Book Character Parade. Yes, it’s back!!
- We would love for you to join us for the Book Character Parade on Friday the 29th from 1:15 to 2:15. Each class will be dressed up as characters from a book they have read together and then march through the halls and around the school so everyone can see their costumes and have some fun. Parents and guests will view the parade on the front lawn and on the sidewalks around the school. We hope you can make it for this exciting afternoon.
Finally, a word from Nurse Hicks about medication at school. Though the weather continues to be chilly, spring is approaching. Nurse Hicks has requested that students who have asthma be sure to have their inhaler here at school. She also recommends that these students use their inhaler before recess or PE to abate possible symptoms and risk of a serious asthma attack, especially if it is a code yellow or red day. For students with seasonal allergies and who are in need of over-the-counter medication, she asks that you have filled out a Medicine Administration Form, which can be found on our website or you can get this directly from Nurse Hicks. You will need to provide Nurse Hicks with this form and the medication so your child can receive it as needed during the school day. Please do not send any medication (over-the-counter or prescription) to school in your child’s backpack in anticipation of him/her taking it without assistance from Nurse Hicks. It is very important that all medication be stored in the nurse’s office at school and administered with adult supervision.
As always, I am happy to answer any questions you may have. I am wishing you a safe and happy spring break!