Hello Middle Campus Families,
I hope that you all have had a wonderful summer break. I enjoyed having the opportunity to rest and recharge and I am looking forward to getting this new year started! Our new Assistant Principal, Dr. NaTasha Woody, and I have been working this summer towards getting everything prepared for this next school year. Various members of our support team are back in the building this week, and we are also holding our 6th grade Boot Camps to help our newest middle schoolers get acclimated to the Middle Campus. Teachers will return for our annual K-8 faculty and staff retreat on Monday before moving into pre-planning for the rest of the week.
To help you get yourselves prepared for this school year I’ve added some important information below. Be sure to read the other posts on the Courier for information that I have not covered here.
Your Student’s Advisor this year:
You will receive an email on Friday 7/29 by noon letting you know who your student’s advisor is. Students will receive their schedules and have an opportunity to meet their Advisors and some of their teachers on Monday 8/1 during our various Orientations and Meet and Greets (more detail below).
Orientation (6th grade and New Families) and Meet and Greet (7th and 8th grade) Schedule:
Our Orientation day will take place on Monday, August 1st. Our Orientations and Meet and Greets are grade-level specific, so look for your particular category below:
- 7th and 8th grade New Student/Family Orientation (this session is for 7th and 8th grade students and families who are brand new to our school community) will take place from 9:00 – 11:00am. We will begin at 9:00 am in the Media Center.
- 6th grade Orientation (for 6th grade students and families) will take place from 12:30 – 1:30pm with a session that will begin in The Backyard (entrance on Eastwood Avenue) at 12:30 pm.
- Bring a blanket to have a seat on the turf WITH your child. We want to share some information with you and your student alike during 6th grade Orientation. We know students will want to have recess and play, but please let them know that we’ll be sitting together during the general session.
- We will open the gate at 12:15 and get started right away at 12:30.
- 7th and 8th grade Returning Student Meet and Greets will take place from 2:30 – 3:30 pm – This is not an orientation, it is an open house. Students will go to their Advisory rooms to meet their Advisors, spend some time with them, and get their schedules at any time between 2:30 and 3:30. Parents are welcome to come to the Meet and Greets, but 7th and 8th grade students are also welcome to come on their own.
Weekly Schedule (Student Arrival and Dismissal)
As you may recall, our schedule has returned to an early release on Wednesdays. We will NOT have late arrival Mondays.
- Student arrival begins at 8:00am and students can arrive anywhere between 8:00 and 8:30. The building will not be open to students who are arriving before 8:00. Students who arrive early will often wait outside for a few minutes before we open our doors.
- Breakfast will be available between 8:00 and 8:30 as well. For more information about our Nutrition Program (breakfast and lunch) read the general section of the Courier.
- At this time we will continue our process of using separate entrances for each of the grade levels:
- 6th graders will enter the building using the entrance by the Gym.
- 7th graders will enter the building using the entrance by the Cafeteria.
- 8th graders will enter the building using the entrance by the Media Center.
- On Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays students will be dismissed at 3:00pm.
- On Wednesdays students will be dismissed at 2:00pm.
After Care and Office Hours
- Once After Care begins students will be able to stay at school with adult supervision until 6:00 pm. Look for more details in the general section of the Courier.
- During the second week of the school year Office Hours will begin. Teachers will have Office Hours on designated days after school between dismissal and 4:00 pm. On these days students can see their teachers to ask questions and seek extra help. If students are attending Office Hours they need to go directly to their teachers after dismissal, they cannot go home and come back for Office Hours.
- Students who are attending After Care will be able to go to Office Hours to work with their teachers before transitioning to After Care if they would like.
Last year we began the process of re-evaluating our current dress code as we move towards modernizing it. We relaxed our enforcement of the dress code last year, but the dress code didn’t go away. We will continue working towards creating a more modern dress code this fall, but in the meantime please use the following guidance as you do your back-to-school shopping.
- School appropriate and comfortable clothing
- Attire that is appropriate for varying temperatures
- Attire that inspires thought and displays cultural identity
- Attire that supports equity and inclusivity
- Any attire with profanity/vulgarity or drug references
- Pants, shorts, or bottoms that expose undergarments
- Shirts or tops that expose undergarments
- Half shirts
As we’ve done in the past, ANCS will be purchasing school supplies and materials for all of our students. Each year we ask families to donate $25.00 to help cover the cost of the supplies and, if you are able, to donate extra to cover the cost for another family who is unable to donate at this time. You will be able to give your donation by check or card when you come to our 6th grade Orientation or 7th/8th Meet and Greets.
There will be no visitors to Morning Meeting at this time as we will still be seeking to keep our indoor gathering sizes to a minimum.
Thanks for reading. Each week when the Courier comes out there will be additional important information for you to check out, so please make a habit of reading the Courier each week over the course of the year. If you have any other questions feel free to reach out.