Letter from MC Counselor
HELP all students to know themselves and to be known well by their community
ENGAGE the whole child—intellectually, social-emotionally, and physically
– Neighborhood Charter mission
One of the many things we do to meet this mission is to offer regular classroom guidance lessons taught by me, Kristin Lee, the school counselor. This year’s counseling lessons will focus on stress, mental health and keeping our school family safe. Below are the specific topics for the first half of the year and resources if you would like to discuss them with your student.
- In September, all grades learned about our Say Something reporting program to help keep our school community safe. Sandy Hook Promise tip line
- This month 7th and 8th grades will learn about Sexual harassment – what it is and isn’t and what to do if it happens to you. How to talk to kids about sexual harassment
- Next month, 7th and 8th graders will learn how to recognize when someone is having thoughts of suicide and how to get help from a trusted adult. The number one way to prevent suicide is to prevent access to methods (lock up firearms and medications). For more information Teens and Suicide: What parents should know
- In November, 6th grade will learn about emotions and self regulation. How to help kids manage emotions
- All grades will learn about stress and anxiety in December. Stress is a part of life and we can fill our “toolbox” with coping skills that help. How to help children and teens manage their stress
If you have any specific questions regarding any of these topics, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 470-597-2297.
Kristin Lee, LCSW
Counselor and Social Worker
Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School
Middle School Campus