Since the summer of 2014, ANCS has been involved with the facilitation of opportunities for collaborative learning about practices grounded in the common principles for the Coalition of Essential Schools and/or the core principles of the CREATE Teacher Residency program — compassion, collaboration & reflection, and equity.
Through the Center for Collaborative Learning, we aim to bring together individuals, schools, and organizations to build capacity for creating student-centered learning environments in these four different capacities.
CREATE Teacher Residency Program
We administer the CREATE Teacher Residency Program in collaboration with Georgia State University. This program includes 3 years of innovative supports provided to new teachers, and the teachers who mentor them. New teacher residents are placed within the context of CREATE-consortium schools within the Maynard Jackson High School cluster, all of which are actively collaborating to increase teacher retention, satisfaction and effectiveness.
We host visitors to ANCS to observe teaching and learning as well as workshops for educators, organizations, and others to deepen knowledge of ANCS practices for possible use in their own contexts.
We facilitate school improvement initiatives regionally.
Schools Participating in Designed Learning Experiences
- East Lake Elementary
- ECU NC Teaching Fellows Program
- Fred A. Toomer Elementary School
- GLOBE Academy
- Impact Academy
- Rock Spring Elementary
- The Museum School
- The Weber School
- Wesley International Academy
- Woodland Elementary School
Henry County Schools
- Henry County Schools – Professional Learning
- Flippen Elementary
- Hampton Middle School
- Hickory Flat Charter Elementary
- Ola Elementary
- Unity Grove Elementary School
Perspectives: An Experiment in Living
Perspectives is a course during spring break where students travel across the Atlanta area and learn what it’s like to live in homelessness.
Partners for the Homeless Immersion Course
- Intown Collaborative Ministries Food Pantry: Serve soup as people wait, providing opportunity to talk with people
- Paideia School Farm: lessons in urban agriculture and food insecurity
- Inman Park Cooperative Preschool
- Madhousers: helped students build a hut
- Atlanta City Detention Center
- Mercy Care of Atlanta
- Covenant House
- Fulton County Courthouse
- The Gateway Center
- Convenant Community at All Saints Episcopal Church: Discussion with residents of the transition and addictions counseling program
- United Way of Metro Atlanta
- Urban Recipe
The Center for Collaborative Learning @ ANCS has recently hosted institutes and learning workshops about “Critical Friendship”, “Universal Design for Learning”, Conscious Discipline, and paths to teacher certification.
For more details about the Center for Collaborative Learning @ ANCS, please contact Elizabeth Hearn.