As a charter school, ANCS is not eligible to participate APS school bus service, therefore parents are responsible for arranging their students transportation to and from school. Many families participate in carpools, while many students walk, bike, or take public transportation to school. If you need assistance in making arrangements for your student’s transportation, please contact Kelly Dennis (elementary campus) or Maria Larson (middle campus).
Arrival/Dismissal/Parking Information for the Elementary Campus
Students may arrive at the elementary campus no earlier than 7:30 am. The school is not responsible for students who are dropped off before 7:30 am. All students enter the building through the main entrance on Grant Street. A school staff member will be at the main entrance to greet students. Students may not enter through doors in the back or on the side of the school (i.e., the cafeteria doors or the double door that faces Pavilion Street).
The car drop-off line forms on Grant Street from the front entrance of the school south. Please have students exit the car at the curb on the right side of Grant Street – exiting the car on the left side is unsafe. Please only enter the Grant Street drop-off line from streets south of Bass Street. Entering the drop-off line from Pavilion Street causes confusion and creates unsafe conditions.
Afternoon Dismissal Expectations
For our children’s safety, dismissal procedures are a priority. Please help us keep a safe environment by not parking on Pavilion Street on the north side of the school – after school program vans must use that area to pick up children. Parents coming to school to pick up their child will provide a school employee with their child’s name and then wait on the front walkway until 2:55. At that time, children will be dismissed from the building to join their parent or caregiver in the front of the building. Parents are asked to keep younger siblings of students with them at all times and to follow the school’s Guiding Principles while on school grounds. Teachers will sometimes be outside during dismissal, but we ask that you please hold teacher conferences at a time other than dismissal in order to ensure confidentiality and allow teachers to visit with other parents.
If your child is being picked up by car, please stay in your car in the pick-up line in front of the school. The line begins on Grant Street adjacent to the Media Center door and continues south. Please enter the carpool line south of Bass Street and not from Bass Street (see map below). This creates unsafe conditions and blocks other traffic. ANCS observes a “no idling” policy—please help us protect your children and the environment by participating in this program.
Dismissal will occur from multiple locations within the school building.
- Walkers will be met outside at the front of the school building.
- Car riders will be sent to cars from the Media Center when called.
- Van riders will be dismissed from the auditorium for the Pavillion Street entrance when called.
- 2:55 – All students are escorted to their dismissal location. Car riders are escorted to the Media Center to wait for pick up until 3:10. Students who are walkers, van riders, or in the ANCS after school or enrichment programs are escorted to the auditorium until dismissed.
- 2:55 – Dismissal is announced
- 2:55-3:05 – Van riders will be called to the Pavilion Street entrance as vans arrive.
- 3:10 – Walkers and car riders who have not been picked up will be checked in to the ANCS after school program (daily after school charges will accrue).
Car Rider Numbers
If a parent/guardian plans to pick up a child by car at any time during the school year, a school car rider number must be obtained. Please display this number in your car window each time you pick up your child. If another authorized person is going to pick up your child, the school must be notified and the student’s car rider number should be displayed. Failure to display a car rider number and/or to notify the school of a change in the person picking up your child will require drivers to park and enter the school to verify pick up. No child will be dismissed to a stranger or unauthorized individual.
***** Parents / guardians must notify the school office in writing or by telephone no later than 11:00 AM if dismissal arrangements are to be changed. ******
Arrival/Dismissal/Parking Information for the Middle Campus
Students may arrive at school at the middle campus no earlier than 8:00 a.m. unless taking part in a club or teacher help session. The school is not responsible for students who are dropped off before 8:00 a.m. Parents dropping students off or picking students up by car should do so along the right-hand side of Essie Avenue only—no vehicles should drop students off along Emerson Avenue. Students should enter the building through the main entrance on Essie Avenue by the gym. If you need to enter the building during morning arrival please do not park in the carpool line or in the parking lot.
Students who wish to ride their bikes may do so. Bikes may be locked at one of the bike racks at the school. However, the school is not responsible for the bikes while on school property or while the student is riding to or from school. All students must have on a helmet when biking in compliance with the school’s helmet use policy.
At the end of the school day, students will be dismissed according to their mode of transportation that day. It is not necessary for parents to report daily transportation information to the school. Please make sure your student knows how he or she will get home before morning arrival at school. We strive to minimize disruptions to the instructional day so do not count on the school to deliver information about transportation changes, except in the case of an emergency.
Students who walk or bike from school will be dismissed at 3:45. These students are expected to safely leave campus as quickly as possible so we can continue the dismissal process.
Car riders will be dismissed at approximately 3:50 each day (2:20 on Wednesdays). Students who do not walk or ride their bikes to school should be picked up no later than 4:00 each day (2:30 on Wednesdays) unless staying for an after school activity. Any students who have not been picked up by 4:00 (2:30 on Wednesdays) will be checked in to the ANCS after school program (daily after school charges will accrue).
In an effort to make dismissal a safe and efficient process for all, please follow the guidelines below:
- Obey all traffic safety laws and follow the instructions of school staff supervising the dismissal process.
- The car riders’ line is on the right-hand side of Essie Avenue in front of the school. Vehicles should not pick up students on the left side of Essie or on Emerson.
- The student loading zone will be between the gym doors and the parking lot entrance on the right side of Essie. Cars behind that area will need to wait to pull forward into the loading zone before students can get into cars.
- ANCS has a no-idling policy. Please do not let your car idle while waiting in line. A staff member will direct you when the line needs to move forward.
- Please limit your need to enter the building during dismissal, as all staff members will be involved in supervising this process. If you must enter the building during dismissal time, please park on the left hand side of Essie Avenue to allow the carpool line to move smoothly while leaving openings for our neighbors’ cars to pull in and out of driveways.
- Please do not plan to check students out after 3:30 (2:00 on Wednesdays).
If you need to park and come into the middle campus building at any time, please heed the following:
- Do not park in the faculty/staff lot at any time during the school day. We have reached capacity in the lot and want to reserve all the spaces for our staff and faculty.
- Do not park on the right-hand side of Essie Avenue in the mornings or afternoons during carpool time. This will slow down our carpool line.
- Observe all street parking rules. Do not park in a crosswalk or blocking any driveway. Do not park blocking a fire hydrant!
Any students who have not been picked up by 4:00 (2:30 on Wednesdays) will be checked in to the ANCS after school program (daily after school charges will accrue).