The ANCS Middle Campus is an authorized International Baccalaureate® (IB) World School offering the Middle Years Programme (MYP)
The International Baccalaureate (IB) enables students to direct their own learning pathway and develop the skills and confidence they need to thrive and make a lasting difference. It empowers teachers as the architects of learning excellence, working alongside engaged colleagues in a rewarding career supported by a strong global network. And it brings schools a strong reputation for successful outcomes that uplift the whole community.
To learn more about the 8 subject area classes offered in the Middle Years Programme (MYP), click on the subject briefs below. Classes utilize the Georgia Standards of Excellence as relevant to their subject area.
- Arts (ANCS offers Performing Arts and Visual Arts)
- Individuals & Societies (similar to Social Studies)
- Language Acquisition (all students take Spanish)
- Language & Literature
- Physical and Health Education
What is the MYP?
At the core of all IB Programmes is the learner profile, 10 attributes fostered in students that promote their development as responsible members of their local, national and global communities. IB learners strive to be inquirers, knowledgeable, thinkers, communicators, principled, open-minded, caring, risk-takers, balanced and reflective.
- Key and related concepts are big ideas, which form the basis of teaching and learning in the MYP. They ensure breadth and depth in the curriculum and promote learning within and across traditional disciplines.
- Global contexts provide shared starting points for inquiry into what it means to be internationally minded, framing a curriculum that promotes multilingualism, intercultural understanding and global engagement.
- Approaches to teaching and learning, a unifying thread throughout all MYP subject groups, are skills which help students manage their own learning. They provide a foundation for success in further education and the world beyond the classroom.
- Action and service, essential components of the MYP, set out clear learning outcomes that grow from students’ participation in local and global communities. MYP projects are informed by respected models of service learning and provide stepping stones toward the Diploma Programme’s core requirements for Creativity, Action and Service (CAS).
- The personal project is a culminating experience in which students apply their approaches to learning skills to complete an extended, self-directed piece of work. This required component provides opportunities for creative and truly personal demonstrations of learning.
The Impact of the ANCS MYP Experience on High School
Key findings from research on the impact of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years Programme (MYP)
The IB Global Research department collaborates with universities and independent research organizations worldwide to produce rigorous studies examining the impact and outcomes of the IB’s four programmes. These findings come from IB-commissioned research relating to the MYP. Studies highlight a number of outcomes, including: the skills fostered through the MYP, non-scholastic outcomes of the programme and the academic achievement of MYP students.
ANCS IB Policies
The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme at ANCS is supported through the collaborative development and implementation of school policies. All policies are reviewed on an annual basis with modifications made as needed. The ANCS Community is informed of IB policies through the school newsletter (Courier) and school website. Input and suggestions on ANCS’s policies are welcome and may be communicated to our IB MYP Coordinator Dale Scott.
10 Reasons why the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP) encourages you to become a creative, critical and reflective learner
Learn ‘how to learn’ using communication, research, self-management, collaboration and critical thinking skills.
Through the MYP community project you learn to service the community and connect what you learn in the classroom to “real life”.
It teaches you to analyse and evaluate issues, generate novel ideas and consider new perspectives.
The MYP helps you increase your understanding of the world by exploring globally significant ideas and issues.
Not just to memorize facts or topics and prepare for exams.
- organize and plan your work
- meet deadlines
- bounce back
- think positively
You are encouraged to make connections between subjects.
Feel empowered to prove what you know and earn the MYP certifcate or MYP course results.
Prepare yourself for the IB Diploma Programme or IB Career-related Programme delivered by IB World Schools globally.
The MYP helps you critically appreciate your own culture and personal history, as well as the values and traditions of others.