The mission of the Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School (ANCS) is to create a community of deeply engaged families and educators working to foster extraordinary levels of student achievement in an inclusive, constructivist learning environment that values every individual and prepares students to be effective citizens in a diverse global society.
ANCS seeks to create a vibrant, dynamic and unique learning experience that uses the Common Principles of the Coalition of Essential Schools to engage every student, stimulate intellectual curiosity, and facilitate academic excellence and achievement. Fulfilling our mission means the following details of our vision will be accomplished:
- The school’s educational philosophy stems from the value that every learner is a teacher and every teacher is a learner, and each individual’s perspective and voice are important. K-8 curriculum and instruction should be meaningful, personalized, connected, relevant and student-centered.
- Through real-life projects and activities, students not only embrace traditional concepts, but also hone their ability to think critically and creatively, to solve problems and to work together. Students learn how to succeed not only in the classroom, but also in the real world.
- Students, faculty and staff are supported by visionary leaders who have deep connections and partnerships in the local, state, national and global communities.
- The key constituents—students, parents and families, faculty and staff, the governing board, and the community and local partners—share a spirit of appreciation, valuing and encouraging diversity and inclusion, and building social cohesiveness within the neighborhood and beyond.
- The facilities and grounds are modern, “green,” safe, welcoming and encourage the learning process for each student.
- There are sufficient resources—human and financial—that ensure operations are functioning effectively.
- A visit to the school leaves the impression that you have experienced education at its best and learning at its deepest.